- WELCOME BACK! I hope you all had an awesome summer, are recharged and ready for a great school year. I am looking forward to working part-time but also completing the students’ middle school learning in science and continuing their preparation for high school science.
- All teachers will be using the My Homework app for assignments this year. Please check back soon for the link to this app for this class. Further information and updates will be provided as needed. Thank you in advance for your patience as we become more accustomed to this app.
All middle school staff will continue to encourage and support each student in developing a strong and responsible independence in their learning.
- Students: You are expected to check the app daily for any homework assignments and due dates.
- Parents: Please support this developing indepence. Ask your child if he or she has checked the app and follow up as needed. Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
ALSO – Google Classroom will continue to be used in this class, but ALL assignments will be posted in the My Homework App even if they are assigned and collected in Google Classroom.
Students are also required to check their emails at a minimum of twice each day for additional homework details and reminders.
Important Documents & Handouts
- 8th Grade Syllabus 2018-2019
- Middle School Expectations 2018 – 2019
- Lab Safety Contract (must be signed & returned before permitted to do lab work)
- Current Science Handout (expectations and instructions for completing this assignment)
Science World Online Magazine *Click on “Student Sign In” then enter class code.
- SAFETY GOGGLES – Every student is expected to use safety goggles in the lab when the materials used require this safety precaution. I keep extra pairs of goggles in the lab but ask students to purchase their own pair for sanitary reasons. If students use a pair from the lab, they are responsible for cleaning and returning them. Where can you purchase your own pair? The School House and Wal-Mart are two stores that I know carry the correct type of safety goggles. If you are at Wal-Mart, you will find them in the back area of the store by the painting supplies section. It important that the goggles protect the area around the eye completely, so make sure to purchase a pair that is coded ANSI-Z87. A pair will cost about $4 at Wal-Mart.
- NEED HELP STUDYING? Download “FLASHCARDS+” This is an app for smartphones like i-Phone or Droid that gives you access to tons of pre-made flashcard sets. Best of all, the app is FREE! Download it on your smartphone (or your parents’ with permission) and start studying.
- To be determined. Please check back for an update or feel free to email me. Thanks!